Under general direction of the Manager, Technical Support and guidance from the Systems Engineer, the System Administrator’s responsibilities include the implementation and maintenance support of the Alameda Alliance for Health’s Windows 2003/2008/2012 server operating environments from installation, configuration, patching, and maintenance of systems. In this role, the System Administrator works closely with the Systems Engineer and will interface directly with internal and external customers as well as vendors as needed. Documentation of systems related projects are a significant part of the System Administrator’s responsibilities.
Additional responsibilities include functioning as third level support for the Information Technology Service Desk by responding to requests for assistance with computer problems and maintenance of the physical security and operating environment of the computer room. A vital component of this position is a proactive approach to the development and enhancement of the procedures and methodologies to achieve optimum performance, delivery, and continuity of the Information Technology department.
· Plan, install, configure, and monitor operating systems, peripherals and associated software/applications. Install network hardware and configure internal components of computers to be utilized as network servers and workstations. Maintain all staff workstations and servers, both internal and external.
· Recommend improvements to current infrastructure to the IT plan.
· Provide technical support regarding network operations, FTP, SFTP problems, and malfunctions for the main and satellite offices. Perform diagnostic tests, note symptoms, and gather relevant problem/malfunction facts and data. Analyze symptoms of network user problems/malfunctions and determine appropriate action in a timely manner.
· Maintain up-to-date documentation of systems design.
· Validate all Service Desk projects and implementations.
· In cooperation with the Systems Engineer actively seek out opportunities to leverage new technologies and/or existing resources to provide efficiencies, optimizations, and cost savings.
· Provide regular status updates on projects, including progress updates and identification of technical risks and issues associated with them.
Exchange administration tasks include, but are not limited to:
· Maintain user mailboxes and public folders currently on Exchange 2003/2010 server.
· Manage Information Store backups.
· Develop, test and document restore scenarios.
System administration tasks include, but are not limited to:
· Manage user passwords and profiles in the security system. Conduct routine audits of the systems’ security information and review system/application access.
· Manage and maintain all VMWare and virtual environments including SAN and NAS storage.
· Coordinate service calls and schedule appointments between service providers and users experiencing problems/malfunctions and ensure satisfactory resolution. Receive and review requests for network equipment installation, ensure completeness and resolve discrepancies and coordinate with requestors.
· Train staff in the proper use and operation of LAN/WAN systems and related equipment and prepare and update user operation brochures and guides.
· Troubleshoot escalated remote login and VPN issues.
· Maintain accurate records, logs, and files related to the assignment of network inventory activities, servicing, operations, and functions. Prepare network diagrams, flow charts, graphic presentations, and narrative reports to recommend improvements or resolve problems.
· Recommend and install approved latest releases, upgrades, and patches to network operating systems via WSUS and Patch Management Software.
· Coordinate timely and reliable system backups as well as monitor system capacity and performance.
· Maintain IT disaster recovery planning and documentation.
· Work with other IT staff and processes as needed.
· Adhere and assist in IT compliance audits.
· Provide after hours on-call support on a rotational basis.
· Travel to remote office as needed for support.
· Perform other duties and special projects as assigned.
ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS OF THE JOB
· Technical job knowledge: Performing computer related activities.
· Communications: Preparing written and verbal reports and documentation related to key information services.
· Project management: Preparing project plans, task lists, timelines, resource assignments, and related budgets. Tracking projects to assure on time and on budget completion.
· Teambuilding: Working with internal and external customers to build integrated multi-disciplined teams.
· Compliance: Complying with the organization’s Code of Conduct, all regulatory and contractual requirements, organizational policies, procedures, and internal controls.
· Constant and close visual work at desk or computer.
· Constant sitting and working at desk.
· Constant data entry using keyboard and/or mouse.
· Frequent use of telephone headset.
· Constant verbal and written communication with staff and other business associates by telephone, correspondence, or in person.
· Frequent lifting of folders and other objects weighing between 0 and 30 lbs.
· Frequent walking and standing.
· Occasional driving of automobiles.
EDUCATION OR TRAINING EQUIVALENT TO:
· Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science or Engineering preferred or equivalent work experience.
· Certification as a Microsoft Certified Engineer (MCSE) desired.
MINIMUM YEARS OF ADDITIONAL RELATED EXPERIENCE:
· Minimum three years demonstrated hands on experience with a network system.
SPECIAL QUALIFICATIONS (SKILLS, ABILITIES, LICENSE):
· Experience with ITIL processes and methodologies to improve incident handling and service requests desired.
· Ability to work in a multidisciplinary company.
· Strong interpersonal skills, mature judgment and diplomacy required to interact effectively with a broad spectrum of people, both individually and in groups.
· Ability to balance SLAs vs. frequently changing priorities and tasks.
· Demonstrated ability to learn new technologies.
· Strong analytical and problem solving skills required.
· Strong verbal and writing skills required.
· Expert knowledge of Windows 2000-2012 Network Operating Systems.
· Expert knowledge of Windows 7 desktop operating systems.
· Expert knowledge of Microsoft Exchange 2003-20010.
· Working knowledge of Microsoft Networks, Unix, and Linux operating systems.
· Working knowledge of Microsoft SQL Server 2000 and 2005,
· Direct experience working with network servers, routers, firewalls, switches, VPN concentrators, and other network technologies.
· Direct working knowledge of TCP/IP fundamentals, dynamic routing protocol configuration and operation, IP filtering, firewalls, and VPN.
· Direct experience setting policies, procedures, network software, hardware standards, and documentation standards.
· Direct knowledge and experience on different system backup strategies, (e.g., Legato).
· Detailed understanding of the protocols, best practices, and operational issues surrounding WAN services and protocols.
· Basic knowledge of next-generation trends in networks, such as network storage devices and security.
· Solid operational experience with security issues and access control mechanisms to prevent unwanted access.
· Solid understanding of network security, industry standard security protocols, VPN configuration, and administration.
· Solid background on TCP/IP networking and troubleshooting in a Microsoft Windows networking environment.
· Project management including work planning, scheduling, measurement, and reporting. Plan, organize, and complete projects efficiently and in accordance with state and federal healthcare regulatory standards.
$89,360 - $134,050/annually