The Manager, Public Relations is responsible for developing and maintaining a favorable public image for the Alliance by communicating programs, accomplishments, and/or points of views. Responsibilities also include developing and maintaining relationships with local government entities and acting as a liaison at regular priority stakeholder meetings. This position monitors local health related policy development and trends and works closely with Compliance department, Community Relations department and other key staff to communicate County initiatives. This individual will also collaborate with the Community Relations department in developing advertising and marketing communications plans to include strategy, budget and tactics; additional collaborations may include developing material and articles for internal newsletters as well as maintaining any other forms of public contact. This position also serves as a resource for Alliance staff on community relations and outreach activities through the framework of organization objectives and regulatory adherence.
Principal responsibilities include:
· Create and maintain a stakeholder portfolio of key partners and collaborators of the Alliance.
· Provide detailed reporting on initiatives, events, leads, and activities supporting community stakeholder engagement.
· Keep abreast of local initiatives and work across the organization to analyze and report on the potential impact of the changes.
· Monitor and communicate changes, proposed or considered, in local initatives, policies and ordinances.
· Prepare and support the development of provider or member notifications related to changes in initiatives and policies, including revisions to the Evidence of Coverage, the Provider Manual and other materials.
· Prepare or support the development of provider or staff training related to new local policies or requirements.
· Maintain knowledge of business products and related Alliance policies and procedures.
· Complete other special projects and duties as assigned.
ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS OF THE JOB
· Public Speaking, writing, reporting, researching, administration, and analysis.
· Communicate in written and verbal form to diverse audiences.
· Lead and participate in internal and external committees and meetings.
· Comply with the organization’s Code of Conduct, all regulatory and contractual requirements, organizational policies, procedures, and internal controls.
· Constant and close visual work at desk or computer.
· Constant sitting and working at desk.
· Constant data entry using keyboard and/or mouse.
· Frequent use of telephone headset.
· Frequent verbal and written communication with staff and other business associates by telephone, correspondence, or in person.
· Frequent lifting of folders and other objects weighing between 0 and 30 lbs.
· Frequent walking and standing.
· Occasional driving of automobiles.
EDUCATION OR TRAINING EQUIVALENT TO:
· Bachelor’s degree required.
· Master’s degree in public policy or public health preferred.
MINIMUM YEARS OF ADDITIONAL RELATED EXPERIENCE:
· Familiarity with Medi-Cal and other publicly funded programs required.
· Familiarity with health policy required.
· Familiarity with the managed care sector required.
· Strong knowledge of Alameda County, its cities and neighborhoods, governance, and community based organizations, preferred.
· Minimum of 3 years experience working with community based organizations, elected official, government entity or public health care organizations.
· Legislative, government relations or public policy experience preferred.
· Public speaking experience preferred.
SPECIAL QUALIFICATIONS (SKILLS, ABILITIES, LICENSE):
· Exemplary interpersonal skills, including ability to work effectively as part of a team across organizational structure a must as well as the ability to work independently as needed.
· Strong analytical problem solving skills to include ability to analyze and interpret legislative, statutory, regulatory, and legal language.
· Ability to meet deadlines and adjust to changes in policies, procedures, and priorities.
· Excellent and effective verbal and written communications skills.
· Proficient experience in use of computer software including Microsoft Word, Excel, Outlook, Access and PowerPoint, as well as excellent internet search skills.