Under supervison from the Manager, Financial Planning & Analysis - Planning, the Senior Analyst – Healthcare is responsible for analyzing financial and operational performance by providing advanced financial analysis of medical expenses using various reporting tools for planning and reporting purposes.
Principal responsibilities include:
· Assist in the preparation of medical expense projections for the annual budgeting and quarterly forecasting processes.Perform operational activities including, but not limited to the generation of reports and analyses from data sources requiring substantial and complex use of the company’s information systems.
· Prepare General Ledger Summary Report which reports fee-for-service medical expenses by service categories and aid code categories as part of the month-end closing process. This includes complex claim data investigations, reconciliations, and explanations of the differences between the General Ledger and the Check Register.
· Participate in data gathering, reporting and analysis for data requests from external regulatory entities.
· Consistent review, problem solving, and communication of financial data systems and reports. This includes identifying and providing solutions related to data intergrity issues and reconciliation between accounting systems, claim systems, reporting systems and the data warehouse.
· Perform budget variance analyses, trend analyses and other projects related to medical expense.
· Complete other duties as assigned by the Manager, Planning and Analysis - Planning
EDUCATION OR TRAINING EQUIVALENT TO:
· B.A. or B.S. in Business Administration, HealthCare, Accounting, Information Technology or related field or equivalent experience.
MINIMUM YEARS OF ADDITIONAL RELATED EXPERIENCE:
· Three years’ experience analyzing complex data and creating management information for financial reporting and decision support.
· One years’ experience analyzing healthcare expense in an insurance or health plan setting.
DESIRED QUALIFICATIONS (SKILLS, ABILITIES, LICENSES):
· Proficient analytic and problem-solving skills.
· Proficient data modeling and analysis skills.
· Proficient understanding of healthcare and/or insurance industry. Know the general business processes in healthcare and how they affect an organization. Understand some of the regulatory requirements for HMOs.
· Well organized and detail oriented.
· Experience using Business Objects or similar OLAP tool.
· Advanced experience in use of MS Office products including MS Word, MS Excel, MS Access, MS PowerPoint, and Outlook.
· Able to understand the nuances of data.
· Excellent written, verbal and interpersonal communication skills.
· Ability to successfully relate to people at all levels.
· Ability to facilitate meetings and make presentations before groups of management and staff.
· Ability to gather, read, analyze, and interpret complex financial/operating data and create accurate meaningful financial information for financial reporting and decision support.
· Plan and complete tasks to a high standard on time.
· Effectively manage competing priorities.